Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Song of The Week: The Starting Line- "Nights And Weekends"




What Song is It: “Nights and Weekends” is a bonus track released on the Japanese edition of The
Starting Line’s second full-length album Based on a True Story, which was released in May of 2005. IT was one of four songs cut from the album, alongside “Classic Jazz”, “The Raincloud and I”, and a full band version of “Lasting Impressions” from the band’s Make Yourself at Home EP.  However, it is easily the best of the four songs cut from the album.

Why is it Song Of The Week: I use this song of the week feature to highlight a song that either very few people know about or a song that doesn’t get nearly enough praise. This song fits both categories. “Nights and Weekends” is my favorite Starting Line song, released on the foreign import version of my favorite Starting Line album.  Yet, because it is a B-side, its not very well know, even by people in the band’s fanbase. When I attended the Starting Line reunion show at Starland Ballroom in January of 2011, I shouted for the band to play “Nights and Weekends” and was met with a large amount of quizzical looks among fans. That should change.

What makes it so good: Besides the crushing drum intro, which kicks off the song so massively, the best part of the song is the instantly relatable lyrics. “Well I can read your lips, but they don’t make sense, they both scream kiss when your eyes don’t yet.” Everyone has been there before, where they’re not sure if they should make a move, but they decide not to because something doesn’t seem right. I have also had many times where I have just shouted along to the song’s chorus “She said ‘I’ve been thinking a lot about you is it true do you hate me?’”  The song features one of singer Kenny Vasoli’s famous third-person mentions of himself: “So please Ken, let’s not fight” (a tactic also seen in Surprise, Surprise and a few other songs by the band). Essentially, it’s some of Kenny’s best lyricism and one of the best songs the band has ever written.

Where can I get it: Once again, I have picked a song that is not available for download legally online. But to hold you over until you can illegally download this perfect song, I have provided a youtube video below for your listening pleasure.


1 comment: