Thursday, June 14, 2012

Album Review: Motion City Sountrack- Go



I have been able to count on a few facts in my life. The fact that the sun is still there when I wake up, the fact that I am able to breathe without thinking about it, and the fact that Motion City Soundtrack does not disappoint whenever they release an album. Okay, maybe that’s a little drastic, but it’s not far off from the truth. Motion City Soundtrack has released some of the best neurotic pop-rock around for the past 10 years, and 2012 is no different. The fifth full-length in the band’s venerable discography is Go, and album that says a whole heck of a lot more than its succinct title.

I must admit, at first I wasn’t blown away by Go. The lead single, True Romance surprised me, as it wasn’t what I expected to hear. I was taken aback by the airiness of the track.  I expected to hear something along the lines of the dark album closer of My Dinosaur Life, “The Weakends”, something with brooding power but just a touch of optimism. I was greeted instead with an album full of looks at our own mortality. “Everyone Will Die” for example is a tender ballad about spending the time you have on Earth doing something worthwhile. “Everyone will die, and everyone will lose, so what’re gonna do in the moments before it’s you?” Justin Pierre asks on the track, one of Go’s standouts. The track features beautiful string arrangements in the building interlude. It may well be one of the most beautiful tracks written in the band’s career.

Some critics have said that the album is the band’s natural progression from Even If It Kills Me. Excuse me for being frank here, but I absolutely could not disagree more with that statement. While the album isn’t as rock oriented as Commit This To Memory or as dark as some points on My Dinosaur Life doesn’t mean it has to fit in with the sugary Weezer-ish sound of Even If It Kills Me (worst description ever- deal with it.) This album is its own entity and I don’t really think it has a comparable album in the band’s discography. After all on what other Motion City Soundtrack album would the dance-y beat on “Boxelder” fit in?

“The Worst is Yet to Come”  sounds as if Motion City Soundtrack has channeled former tour mates Saves The Day in the instrumentation, and Pierre turns in one of his best vocal performances wailing “I promise I’ll behave, only in the worst way,” just as the band kicks in for the final chorus. The best track on the album, though, is “Timelines”, the second single released. With its instantly catchy chorus and lyrics that will be on teenagers facebook pages everywhere within months, it sure to be a staple in many a summer playlist.

Surface listens don’t do Go nearly enough justice. This is an album that demands to be dissected, demands to be listened to with an ear for the intricate details. It is, by all accounts, an absolute grower of an album. It may not be the most accessible of the bands work in terms of out of the gate enjoyment, but it stacks up well against the very best that Motion City Soundtrack has to offer once it is given a shot.

Bottom Line: Those willing to put in the work to really will be rewarded with some of Justin Pierre’s best songwriting. Like I said, Motion City Soundtrack never disappoints.

Recommended if you Rock: I Am The Movie, Commit This To Memory, Even if It Kills Me, My Dinosaur Life

No comments:

Post a Comment