Monday, October 15, 2012

Keep Calm Presents: An Interview with Promise of Redemption


When Valencia announced that they were going on hiatus around this time last year, there was little doubt that the band would be sorely missed. Always known for creatively approaching and reinventing the pop-rock genre, the band had few peers, and looked up to no one. However, there is always a silver lining to help fans look on the bright side, and for people anxiously waiting to hear from frontman Shane Henderson, the wait won't be much longer. Adding Valencia guitarist Trevor Leonard to his side project Promise of Redemption, Henderson is back with a refreshed mindset and slew of new songs to sing along to. Before playing a CUBRat show at The College of New Jersey, Henderson and Leonard were kind enough to sit down with Keep Calm and Carry On to talk about where PoR is headed, what the rest of the guys in Valencia are up to, and what's next for both projects.

Keep Calm: You're listening to 91.3FM WTSR on the campus of The College of New Jersey. This is Donald Wagenblast, host of Keep Calm and Carry On, and right now we're here with Shane Henderson and Trevor Leonard of Promise of Redemption, guys, thank you so much for taking the time out for us.
Shane Henderson: Thank you!

KC: So, let's check in: how is Promise of Redemption going right now?
SH: It's good, we just finished a bunch of songwriting and recording. We have four songs that we're working on putting out pretty soon. We're figuring out the release plan for it. Will Noon of fun. played drums on it, which is cool. We're really stoked on the songs, and the material. We're ready to go full-steam ahead.
KC: Shane, this used to be your solo project, aside from Valencia. Now that you've added Trevor in, what has he brought to this project for you?
SH: The voice of an angel (laughs). Trevor and I have always discussed doing a project together. We grew up pretty much in the same group of friends, and the same group of bands. We played shows together with his first band, Procession Came Opposite, and I was in a band called Attracted to Minutes, and we played a lot of shows together. Basically, he brings Trevor Leonard to the table. He's awesome. We really gel as songwriters, because we grew up listening to the same bands. I believe that we both have the same drive, and the same outlook as to what a song and what an album should bring to the table.
KC: I had mentioned this earlier, this was your side project from when you were in Valencia, and now it's what you're doing full-time, for the moment. How has that shift in attention to the project changed your outlook on it?
SH: Well, I've always been focused on it, and I just didn't have much time when I was in Valencia to dedicate to it. But now, I'm just able to put 100% into it, and focus on it. Mainly, in the songwriting aspect of things, it was really difficult to separate the two, between Valencia and Promise of Redemption. There were literally times that I would sit down to write, and if it sounded like a song that could go in the direction of Valencia, then I would bring it to the table, and if it didn't, I would try and work on it a little more on my own.
KC: Like you said, you've got some new material set to be released. Is there anything in particular that we should be expecting from it?
SH: It's definitely a step outside of what Promise of Redemption was. It's not acoustic anymore; it's full-band. I'd like to think that it rocks.
Trevor Leonard: Yeah, it rocks, it's got some Rock N' Roll in there.
SH: It's similar to Valencia, but it brings an aspect of maturity, and the classic artists that we dig, like Springsteen and Petty. It's definitely something new for the both of us. It's not pop-punk, really, it's actually closer to alternative rock. But it's still got that aspect of... (drums on table) (laughs)
TL:It's still got the punk influence, and the pop melodies, you know?
KC: And you mentioned Springsteen and Petty, a couple of months back, you churned out a pretty good amount of cover videos. You did just about one a week. Did doing those covers, and looking at the way other songs were composed, did that go into your writing process of the new Promise of Redemption songs?
SH: Not really. It was mostly just to stay busy and stay relevant, so to speak. Actually, Trevor and I have been discussing what songs we want to keep going with, because we haven't done one in a while. We were working on one yesterday. That should be out pretty soon. It was more for fun, and to give something to the fans that they'd like to hear my take on an artist's song.
KC: A few months ago, you posted something on AltPress.com about what's been going on with your life after Valencia. What the purpose of posting something like that? Was is just to check in with fans?
SH: Yeah, to let them know that I'm not done. Valencia might be taking a break right now, but I'm certainly nowhere near quitting or stopping. I feel like I have a lot to say still, and a lot to give to the industry, and to our genre of music, and to our fans, most importantly. They approached me about doing the article, and I said I would love to because I think it's important for the kids that followed Valencia to understand that Valencia was Valencia, but I was still a part of Valencia, and I still brought what I bring to my project to Valencia, and if they liked that, then there should be no disconnect between switching projects.
KC: And you had mentioned that you guys are on a break; do you have any idea about the standing of that break? Have you talked to anyone else in the band about it?
SH:  Yeah! We still talk to the dudes quite a bit. A couple weeks ago was the anniversary of our drummer Max's passing, so we were all in a room together. I talk to Brendan and George a lot. We've actually discussed with Brendan about bringing him in and seeing what he could add to the project. Even if it's not touring with us, or playing live with us, maybe writing songs, or being a part of the production of the new material, because we both agree that Brendan has a talent that not many people have. Not only just guitar playing, but songwriting.
TL: Yeah, he's a great perspective to have in the mix.
SH: Exactly, and for us, it's good to get that outside perspective, because we get so involved with the whole process. Sometimes it's nice having an extra ear, and being able to take a step back and realizing that, maybe we were too focused on this one idea, that there's other options to add to that idea. Brendan has a good ear for that, and that's actually always what he did with Valencia. He and I would always focus on the material, and he would give that aspect to it that I never saw. He's great with music theory, which is amazing, and he's a great guitar player. As far as Valencia getting back together, I'm not sure when, but I know I would love for it to happen, and I know the guys would be open for it to happen. Right now, it's just not really the time. It hasn't been long enough. I think a main thing for kids to understand was, we had to take a break. We were going full-steam for 8 years, and, not to attack anybody or to say anything about our fans, but it started to see a little bit of a decline. I think it was important for us to recognize that and not drive it into the ground like a lot of bands do, and to take a step back and say, "Hey, this is what you're missing. You should have been at a show." I know that sounds like an arrogant thing to say, but I don't mean it arrogantly. I just mean it in terms of the overall perspective of the band.

KC: Aside from Promise of Redemption, you've actually been looking to get more involved with production, with co-writing, and stuff like that. What sparked that interest in approaching things from the other side of the sound board?
SH: Well, Trevor and I both actually do a lot of engineering and producing. I've just always been a fan of what goes on behind the scenes with songs. I'm a big fan of working with new people. It first started with this artist, Cody Hoffman, I kind of mentored him. That kind of blossomed into a few more other projects, and then I started realizing that I really do like getting behind the board, and learning the science of engineering and sound, and not only that, but the production, and structure and melodies. I just like working with artists and putting my little fingers on it.
KC: And has working with other artists, and sort of providing, like you said, a mentoring aspect  has that changed the way you approach your own songs at all?
SH:  Not necessarily, because it's like, I do what I do with my own material with other artists. That's how I always do it. It definitely inspires me to keep going. I see the passion in other people's eyes, and I see how bad they want it, and it reminds me of how bad I wanted it. And it also gives me that little kick in the butt to say I don't think I'm done. I want to keep going. I know Trevor has been wanting to do this for a really long time, and he has his own projects that are incredible. So I think the dedication and the passion  between the two of us defintely sparks the desire to get out there and keep going.

KC: Well, that's all I've got from my end. Is there anything else you guys want to add?
SH: Be on the lookout for new material. Just keep an eye out, because we have new stuff coming really soon. And obviously all our social media: facebook.com/promiseofredemption, and we both have Twitters. Mine is @ValenciaShane and Trevor's is @TriangleTrev, and just stay in the loop. Come to a show, that's the most important thing is coming to a show and supporting the artists that you like.

Keep Calm and Carry On would like to thank Shane and Trevor for sitting down with us, and special thanks to Brian and Kate from CUBRat for helping to set this up. Make sure you're "in the loop," because there are big things on the horizon for Promise of Redemption! 

No comments:

Post a Comment