Friday, December 6, 2013

Craig's Top 10 Albums of All-Time List








Wow, it's been a while. This is my first post in several months on the blog and it feels really good to be back. Thanks for sticking with us through our busy schedules. Content will be coming much more often from here on out, so keep an eye out for that.

Right now though, in light of our Top 20 Albums of 2013 countdown show being so soon (Tonight, Friday the 6th at 9-11 PM! Listen live at www.wtsr.org, or on 91.3FM) I thought it would be fun to take a look at my all-time Top 10 Albums, and explain why those albums have stood the test of time for me. The rest of the gang will be adding their lists here as well in the upcoming days or weeks. And then a little bit later in the month we will be posting our top 20's of 2013 and the compiled Top 20 for the show. But for now, enjoy my list and leave your comments or your own list below.

1)      Lydia- Illuminate

I’m going to put this as simply as I possibly can. To me, there will never be a more perfect album released than Lydia’s sophomore full-length album Illuminate. If I had known back in the Spring of 2009 that the CD I was handed for free by a random band at the Bamboozle Festival would turn out to be my favorite album I have ever listened to, I would’ve giving each band member a hug on the spot and thanked them for the inpact they’ve had on my life. Everything about this release hits me so directly in the feels every time I listen that it’s a wonder I can even pick myself up off the mat after the last notes of “And Now the One You Once Loved Is Leaving”. Even today, there are still things that amaze me about Illuminate: The chorus of “Fate” still give me chills each and every time I hear it, the swelling climax of “One More Day” is one of the most wonderfully crafted crescendos I’ve heard, and the dense layering of harmonies on “Hospital” and “This is Twice Now” that so perfectly complement vocalist Leighton Antelman’s unique vocal delivery. Illuminate at once the most devastating, heartbreaking, and beautiful album I have ever been blessed to listen to.

2)      Relient K- Forget and Not Slow Down

There are some albums that just come at the perfect time in a person’s life that just define who a person is and who they will become. That record for me is Relient K’s Forget and Not Slow Down- my favorite album from one of my all-time favorite bands.  The album came out in October of 09 and not long after that I went through a rough breakup with my first real girlfriend. I thought for certain that Matt Theissen was speaking directly to me with lines such as “I don’t need a soul, no I don’t need a soul to hold. Without you I’m still whole.” In a lifetime of angsty breakup albums, this was one of the angstiest, and also possibly the best one.

3)      Moving Mountains- Pneuma

Having just seen Moving Mountains play one of their last shows before their hiatus, I can without a doubt say that they are the most underrated band I have ever come across. Each of their releases takes a completely different sonic style, yet the band still maintains a cohesiveness and phenomenal songwriting throughout each and every release. Their debut album, Pneuma, is the record which got me into the band however, and for that reason it is my favorite. The blending of post-rock elements, such as the crescendo in 8105, and the post-hardcore screams seen in their later album Waves makes this one of the most unique and emotional records to come out of the scene. 

4)      Taking Back Sunday- Tell All Your Friends

 Just the memories of sitting in my best friends car, blasting Cute Without the ‘E’ and singing the dueling vocal parts back and forth would be enough to cement Taking Back Sunday’s debut album’s spot in my top 10. But it’s the consistently great songwriting throughout and the great collection of singles which locks in Tell All Your Friends’ Place in my top 5. This is also the first album on my top 10 that I was able to see live in its entirety, a gift I’m thankful to say I’ve been able to experience twice now. It was truly incredible to see both times.

5)      The Spill Canvas- Sunsets and Car Crashes

This album, to me, is the perfect epitome of . Yes, the lyrics are dripping in sentiment at times (“Black Dresses” is the biggest offender: “Take this razor and cut your palms, I’ll do the same, until the river of crimson begins to flow.”)  But the overwhelming sincerity of it all and Nick Thomas majestic voice not only saves it, it helps The Spill Canvas create not just the best album of their career, but perhaps one of the best emo albums of the 2000s. Who, after hearing this album, hasn’t absolutely screamed along to the words of All Hail The Heartbreak at the top of their lungs, cried throughout the entirety of The Tide, or pondered their life during the title track. I know I definitely have.

6)      Anberlin- Cities

My two favorite bands on Earth are Anberlin and Motion City Soundtrack. If you have been following so far with my top 10, you may notice that neither of these bands has been represented yet. There is a good reason for that. The reason is that I had absolutely no clue which albums to put as my favorite albums from those bands. For Anberlin, I could make the case for the band’s sophomore album Never Take Friendship Personal, an album that I have absolutely loved and actually consider their most consistent release, or I could go with the band’s most recent album, 2012’s Vital, which features what is perhaps the band’s best song “Self-Starter.” But instead I chose Cities, the first album I ever heard from the band and the album that pretty much encapsulated my music tastes in 2007. Oh and it also has a little song at the end of it called “Fin” which I heard was pretty special. 

7)      Motion City Soundtrack- My Dinosaur Life

Upset special! For a long while, I had Commit this to Memory, the first album I ever heard from Motion City Soundtrack, in this spot. Then I decided to switch it up after realizing that my two favorite Motion City Soundtrack Songs “Her Words Destroyed My Planet” and “The Weakends” both come from My Dinosaur Life, which was my Album of the Year 2010 (over really strong contenders such has Dancing With a Ghost by Valencia).

8)      Balance and Composure- Separation

 If only I could go back in time and change my 2011 Album of the Year list. The top 3 would probably be entirely different now than it was then. Back then it was 1) The Wonder Years-Suburbia… 2) Transit- Listen and Forgive 3) Taking Back Sunday- S/T. Now, the only one that might still be in my top 3 is Transit, but I don’t think even that has help up as well as Balance and Composure’s crushing debut album Separation. The standard by which I will measure all albums in the “emo” genre against going forward, Balance and Composure managed to create something truly remarkable with this release. (By the way, if I had to re-rank my albums of the year for that year, it probably goes 1) Balance and Composure- Separation, 2) Charlie Simpson-Young Pilgrim, 3) Transit-Listen and Forgive with an honorable mention to The Front Bottoms’ self-titled)
9)      The Gaslight Anthem- The 59 Sound

If you want to know just how great an album The 59 Sound is, all I have to say is this: It is the best album from a band that also released 2012’s Handwritten.  New Jersey’s own Gaslight Anthem have made a name for themselves by crafting blending punk with Americana and rock music, and then adding that concoction to songwriting and storytelling that would make even Bruce Springsteen (who they are incessantly compared too) wish he had written. And the 59 Sound is the height of that, with the music creating an almost nostalgic, longing feeling for days gone by.

10)   Brand New-Deja Entendu

 I know, I know. The Devil and God are Raging Inside of Me is a “better album,” but that title at the top says “Craig’s Top 10 Favorite Albums” and I personally like Deja Entendu more. It contains one of my all-time top 5 songs (in “Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows”) and to me is a near-perfect emo album. My co-host Donald Wagenblast is sure to be furious with me when he reads this.

No comments:

Post a Comment