Thursday, January 16, 2014

Keep Calm Roundtable: Most Anticipated Albums of 2014



With our year-end recaps of 2013 finally put to rest, it's time for all of us at Keep Calm to look forward to what's on our way in 2014. There's a lot of speculation and rumors about bands who are releasing albums this year, along with some stalwarts who have already announced that they'll have new material out in the early months. To tackle everything that's to come our way this year, Craig, Madison, and I will be joining forces in a roundtable discussion (that we sort of stole from Absolutepunk.net) about what we're most looking forward to.


Donald Wagenblast: Craig, Madison, Happy New Year! Hope Santa brought you all you wanted. I loved reading through both of your year end lists! Now that the mushy stuff is out of the way, let's get down to business: the most anticipated albums of 2014. Now, we could have easily made our own individual lists, but I wanted to give this a shot and do something different. So I guess I'll pose the first question: What album from an artist that has already been announced and given a street date are you looking forward to the most?


Craig Ismaili: The recently announced Happiness Is…, Taking Back Sunday’s sixth full-length, tops my most anticipated list. It’s coming out March 18th on Hopeless Records and I’m anxious to see what they have in store for us. The self-titled record released in 2011 has some of the band’s best songs (“Best Places To Be A Mom,” “This Is All Now”) but also some of the band’s biggest trainwrecks (“Sad Savior, “Money (Let it Go)”). If this lineup can put together a consistently great album from start-to-finish on its third attempt together, we could be looking at TBS’ best record since the band’s debut album, the classic Tell All Your Friends. “Flicker Fade,” the lead single on the album, is a huge confidence booster that they will be able to do just that. Also, just a few days ago my answer to this question would have been La Dispute’s Rooms of the House, which is also being released on March 18th through the band’s own newly formed label Better Living Records. That album has a lot to live up to, as I firmly believe the band’s 2011 album Wildlife is one of the most richly evocative and emotionally jarring records to come out of this scene in a long time. Madison, what are you looking forward to?


Madison Ouellette: I gotta agree. I am most looking forward to La Dispute’s Rooms of the House.  After staying quiet for so long, I was starting to anticipate a hiatus announcement of some sort.  After they began the countdown and announced an album and tour, I was pretty excited.  These guys really are the masters of post-hardcore spoken word and with each album comes growth and better writing.  Bands inspired by La Dispute (cough Touche Amore cough) has stepped up their writing game and increased the popularity of this genre.  So while the band was keeping quiet, the fanbase of the overall sound increased.  With that being said, I hope that they continue to show everyone why they are the best at what they do and have not lost their touch in the three years since their last release Wildlife.


Donald: How crazy is it that we pondered on the show (multiple times) whether or not La Dispute were even going to be a band anymore? Very cool to see both of you mention them. And if “Flicker, Fade” is any indication of what Taking Back Sunday have up their sleeve, Happiness Is will be an early AOTY contender. As for me, the only album I’m really looking forward to with any tenacity (so far) is Bayside’s sixth album Cult. Bayside have entered “Perfect Band” territory for me thanks to Killing Time, and they’ve sort of become this band that have a certain level of quality expected from each of their albums that they always deliver on. It’s been just about 3 years since Killing Time came out, and given the very unconventional promotion for the album, I’m thinking this album is going to be exactly the way Bayside wants their band to be perceived and experienced, thanks to their new label Hopeless Records. There’s a lot working in their favor, and that’s why I think Bayside are poised for a big year in 2014, starting with the release of Cult.


Madison:  I think it’s the sheer excitement of La Dispute coming up with new material that makes them my most anticipated.  However, everything you’ve said about Bayside is 100% true and I have no doubt in my mind that they’ll come out with another great album.  What makes Bayside’s album so special is that you pretty much can count on it being great.  The only real toss up is what level of great it’ll be.  Kudos to them for being a band that I have complete faith in for making a stellar album no matter what.


Craig: As we all pointed out in our 2013 Recap posts over the last month, 2013 was a year of surprises, both good and bad. Though we got those great The 1975 and Fall Out Boy releases, we also had atrociously disappointing albums from Transit and Relient K, two releases we were really hyping going into last year. What band scheduled to release an album in 2014 do you think will put together the most disappointing release? I might’ve said Switchfoot myself a few days ago, but I just gave their new album Fading West a listen and it’s a real strong return to form for them.


Donald: I was wondering when our general pessimism was going to pour forth, and it didn’t even take two questions. Go us! There’s a lot of different ways I can go with this right now, but I think it’s going to take a lot for Four Year Strong to impress me. In Some Way, Shape, or Form showed that the band’s well may be running a little dry, and the loss of Josh Lyford proved to take a lot of energy out of the band’s music. Given how Rise or Die Trying has not aged well at all, we’re now looking at Four Year Strong as a band that may be remembered for catching lightning in a bottle with Enemy of the World. The other issue is, does anyone really care that much about what the band does at this point? There’s a lot working against the band right now, and I really hope they can figure this out, but the fact remains that I have no expectations for that album at all, and even if I did, they wouldn’t be great.


Craig: Hey, we are the emo show after all. Pessimism sort of comes with the gig. I agree with that assessment of Four Year Strong for sure. A lot of Enemy of the World has grown stale over time as well (though “One Step at A Time“ is still perfect). I don’t know if the band’s songwriting has just taken a step backwards or if the easycore genre as a whole has just gotten boring. I guess one way we can find out the answer to that question is by looking at the relative quality of the next Set Your Goals release, which according to the band should be out in 2014. Talk about a band’s well running dry, I think Set Your Goals may be completely dehydrated by this point. I give their record a very slim chance of being any good.


Donald: Easycore was one of the strangest scene fads ever, don’t you think?


Craig: I would say so. There was a brief time there after Rise Or Die Trying when about half the bands coming out of new Jersey and Connecticut either were named after a Four Year Strong lyric/song title or tried to sound exactly like “Heroes Get Remembered, Legends Never Die.”


Madison: Set Your Goals hasn’t been relevant in a while.  At least Four Year Strong had some momentum and a loyal fan base that keeps them somewhat relevant, despite the lack of ability to remain timeless.  Set Your Goals, on the other hand, came in with a bang and slowly disappeared without anyone knowing… or actually caring.  I’m not sure if they will necessarily be the disappointing release in 2014 because, lets be honest, are expectations really that high in the first place?  As for I think will be the biggest disappoint (get ready to roll your eyes- Don), I really think Blink-182 is down for the count now.  With the utter disaster that was Neighborhoods, I am not confident that they can write “good” music anymore.  Now that these guys are fathers and husbands, they just don’t write the same immature and quirky songs that got them their fans.  If they realize the flaws in the last release and try to backtrack to how they used to write, I am not sure the guys can accomplish it, being in such a different place in their lives.  But, hey, who knows.  Maybe they’ll give us some more classics in the making and then I can put my foot in my mouth.  Speaking of bands and their careers, which 2014 release do you guys think will be most important to a band’s career?


Donald: This is always such an interesting thing to think about, because there’s so much that goes into whether or not an album is successful, and it’s not always about the quality of the music. For me, I’m really interested to see where Cope can take Manchester Orchestra. They were everyone’s choice for “the next big thing” after Mean Everything to Nothing, which made a huge splash in 2009. But it’s now been almost 3 full years since Simple Math came out, and in that time, the band have released two Bad Books albums. I don’t think the momentum has stalled for them, but it’s certainly faded a little. That being said, this is a band whose potential is seemingly limitless, and based the live versions of the new songs they’ve been playing on tour, this is going to be a very heavy record for them. I’ve had them close to the top of my list of Most Anticipated, and if Manchester Orchestra are able to deliver with Cope, they’ll find themselves being considered among the Brand News and Saves the Days of the world.


Madison: Woah, Don.  That is a pretty major statement you ended that with.


Donald: I know, but this isn’t a statement I would make unless I could back it up


Craig: I’m glad you mentioned Manchester Orchestra, Don. By the way, I’m not sure if you heard but they officially confirmed the April Fools Day release date (fitting as Andy Hull was apparently born an April Fool.) I got to catch them play two songs from the album on their tour with The Front Bottoms, and from what I heard that is definitely looking like one to keep an eye on. I look at this question sort of as a “What band has the most to prove?” kind of statement. And with that said, there is no doubt to me that fun. have the most to prove with the follow-up to Some Nights, a follow-up that is expected to drop sometime in 2014. How does the band follow up the absolutely mind-blowingly huge success of Some Nights’ biggest singles “We Are Young” and the title track in terms of radio and airplay, but still maintain the honest, self-deprecating approach to songwriting that has made Nate and Co. so popular? 2014 will probably determine whether fun. are deemed a flash in the pan; whether they caught lightning in the bottle with Jeff Bhasker. Unfathomably, though, I think they rise to heights even higher than they reached last year. If Some Nights is to fun. as One of The Boys is to Katy Perry, then I see this as-of-yet unnamed album being Fun.’s version of Teenage Dream.


Madison: You make a really good point.  I think fun.’s place in music history will be determined with the next album- whether they have a place to stay or will be remembered as the guy from The Format who had a couple big hits before disappearing into 2012’s archived charts.  However, I am going to give this one to Modern Baseball with their second full length due out in less than a month.  With the success of their first LP Sports, they gained momentum for their quirky lyrics and fun sound, getting the opening slot for some pretty big names.  However, I know the big critique on that album was that it was too relatable,the straightforward lyrics and twangy instrumentals seeming immature and unprofessional.  As a fan of that album and the band in general, I hope 2014’s release You’re Gonna Miss It All will shed light on the full capabilities and potential these guys have to offer.  If this album yet another odd album that lacks maturity, I’m not sure Modern Baseball will be able to obtain a fan base large enough to be anything more than the first opener for a long line of the genre’s heavyweights.  Yet, if the release singles are indication of the album as a whole, Modern Baseball is well on their way to gaining the respect they deserve.


Donald: Love that pick, Madison, I’m really looking forward to seeing what Modern Baseball comes out with. In other news, a trend I’ve started to see in recent years is the back-to-back years releasing a full-length. A lot of bands have done it, sometimes to stay relevant after a member departure (Dance Gavin Dance), others to keep their creative juices flowing (Title Fight), and a few to just keep churning out what their fans still (somehow) want to hear (A Day to Remember). Given these circumstances, is there a band that released an album in 2013 that you think will release a new album in 2014?


Craig: Moving Mountains! Nah, I wish (R.I.P.) As the costs of being in a band skyrocket, bands need to tour in order to make a record, so the quick turnarounds become difficult without either really strong label support or affordable recording spaces (such as what Will Yip has done). With that said, a lot of the bands that I would think have a chance to put out a new record by the tail end of 2014 have already done a large amount of touring behind their record, and that probably means the album was released in early 2013. One band that has toured a lot in the past year, has a strong label backing, and released their last album early in 2013 is twenty | one | pilots. Their album Vessel came out January 8, 2013, so I would not be surprised at all if they released a followup to it in the coming year. Coming off a huge year in which they opened for Fall Out Boy and went on their first major headlining tour, it appears that twenty | one | pilots would be able to financially support recording a new album. I hope it can live up to how great Vessel was (it was my number 5 album of 2013).


Madison: As far as I’m concerned, Title Fight can keep making annual releases and I’ll keep on being excited about each one.  With a headliner in Brazil and a Coachella appearance (how cool is that??) the only announced shows for the entire year, it leaves a lot of time for writing and recording new material.  Even though their EP was released pretty late in 2013, I think they could still pull off a release in the later part of 2014.  But then again, it’s no secret that I am a huge Title Fight fan and I will always a big proponent of them releasing music whenever possible.  I’m gonna remain optimistic here and say Title Fight might fulfill my wishful thinking and go three for three with releases, making me (as always) really stoked.


Donald: Title Fight are a beacon of productivity in a scene where touring is really the only way to make any money. It’s so cool to see them doing the things that they can do. Craig, twenty|one|pilots was a band I had in mind as I was thinking of that question, so I agree with you as well. As much as it hurts for me to say this, I’m going with Transit. Their rise in status came to an abrupt halt with Young New England’s less-than-amicable reception, and for me at least, it really put a damper on the rest of the year’s releases. The expectations for the band are always high, and when you listen to Keep This to Yourself and Listen & Forgive, it’s easy to understand why. While they released the Futures & Sutures EP in December, I think the band understand there’s a bit of pressure on them to return to form now. They certainly have displayed their unique talents before, and I have every faith they can get things back in motion for themselves. Something tells me they’ll be releasing some new songs in some way, shape, or form (haha) in the later part of 2014. Looking on the positive side, though, and there's a chance this is way off, but it would be pretty cool if we saw something new from letlive. Not sure how plausible it is for the chaotic post-hardcore outfit to come out with another full-length in two years, but if they did, I be it'd be pretty great.


Craig: I guess there’s no easy way to broach this subject, and it is sort of the elephant in the room. Brand New recently announced that they are working on new music, which means 2014 might finally bring the (very) long-awaited followup to Daisy. What are you expecting from this release from Brand New? If they do end up releasing an album in 2014, is it penciled in as your album of the year before you even hear it?


Donald: I’ve taken this stance on the potential of a new Brand New album, and I’m sticking to it: I’ll believe it when I hear it. I want to believe, but what I’ve come to discover is that if we just appreciate what this band has already given us, anything more that we get will be an added bonus. Do I hope they release an album this year? Of course I do. But I also don’t want to get my hopes up for nothing for a fifth year in a row. Besides, why pencil an album in for Album of the Year before hearing it, when you can just wait to hear it and then write it in permanent ink?


Madison: For my own emotional well-being, I am not banking on a new Brand New album until there’s an album title and release date.  Although they have confirmed they are working on new music, they confirmed earlier last year that they were playing around with some material in the studio so I am not sure that they ever completely stopped working on material in order to start again.  With that being said, I think it’s time for a new release and with the band being more vocal towards the end of 2013 than any other point in recent years, they might think it’s time as well.  The biggest question I have is if the band will take any of Daisy’s critiques into consideration when writing this new album or if they will keep on writing music that pleases them.  Either way, I have very high expectations of this album because I hold Brand New in such high regard.  I won’t say it is already my tentative album of the year but I will say the band has yet to disappoint me.  What’s your take on this, Craig?


Craig: I’m not sure what to make of it. Obviously, Brand New has all the potential in the world to write another all-time classic album which easily tops our Album of the Year list. But it remains to be seen how invested they are in the songwriting and recording process. If the focus just isn’t there, we could be looking at the most disappointing release we have yet seen, a Collapsible Lung/ Young New England-esque tragedy. I hope that’s not the case, and if they do end up releasing the album this year, I would put them as the overwhelming favorite to be Keep Calm’s composite Album of The Year 2014.


Donald: Alright, guys, this has been fun, let’s end it on a high note. What are some other albums that we haven’t discussed here that you’re looking forward to?


For me, I can’t wait to see what Walk The Moon comes up with next. We should be getting a new release from Tokyo Police Club, and they’ve been gone for a while, so it should be interesting to see what they come back with. I’m a sucker for generic metalcore, so I’ll definitely be checking out Of Mice & Men’s new album Restoring Force, slated to come out later this month. Among the others, I’m also really interested in the new albums from Fireworks, Circa Survive (who just announced they’re writing). Chiodos’s new album will at the very least be an interesting listen. Brian Fallon’s new project Molly & the Zombies sounds promising, and The Gaslight Anthem were teasing a new album for 2014, too. I’ve never been too big a fan of Seahaven, but they’re definitely on my radar this year. Oh, and there’s been some rumblings that this guy named Kanye West will likely have a new album out before the end of the year, too. Bring it on, 2014!


Craig: One of my favorite bands, Motion City Soundtrack, will be releasing a new album this year, so I’m obviously incredibly excited for that. Go, despite having a few really strong tracks, isn’t an album that I come back to particularly often. I’m expecting more from them on this release. I can’t believe I didn’t mention them before, but somehow The Menzingers will try to top On The Impossible Past in 2014. If Chamberlain Waits is their Sink Or Swim, and On The Impossible Past is their The 59 Sound, hopefully the follow-up is better than American Slang. They’re good enough songwriters that I could see that being top 5. I did not mention them in the “most important to the career” section but the next Fireworks record will probably be make-or-break for the band. I heard The Early November played a new song live recently, and if they are all as great as that was, we will be in for a great one from them. As Don mentioned, those The Gaslight Anthem-related projects and a new Circa records have my full attention. And finally, my dark horse Album of the Year contender that I will be pushing on everyone in the next year, Charlie Simpson’s second solo record. His debut, Young Pilgrim, is probably my favorite solo record ever and I have sky high expectations for the follow-up.


Madison: Super stoked for both The Menzingers and Taking Back Sunday.  The Menzingers’ On the Impossible Past was one of the best of 2012 and hopefully, they kept up the momentum from that release and will give another solid addition to their discography.  Like Craig said, somehow they’re going to try to top it but if they can even come close to the greatness of the prior, it’ll be alright by me.  I feel similar about Taking Back Sunday as Don does about Brand New’s discography in that they have already given us so much great music and inspired so many bands with their previous releases, anything they give us now is a treat.  They don’t have anything to prove and most fans won’t drop them if this album isn’t good.  This band shaped the genre, paid their dues, and now can release pretty much anything.  I think it’s always interesting to see what bands under these circumstances produce since they are truly writing for themselves, not only trying to muster up some fans.  Other big highlights of the year include Circa Survive, Chiodos, The Early November, and Seahaven.  If my dude Kanye puts out an album on top of all this, then we’ve got some major things to look forward to.


Craig: Lightning round! Going on record now in January, predict what your Album of the Year will be when 2014 is all said and done.


Madison: If Circa Survive releases the album this year (currently in the writing process), then the loyal fan in me says Circa’s got it locked up.  However, in case they don’t, I’ll go with La Dispute.


Donald: Manchester Orchestra. I didn’t hype them up like that for nothing. I think this is going to be their big moment.


Craig: I’m going with Taking Back Sunday. Thanks for doing this chat guys it was tons of fun to put together.


Madison: Absolutely, this was a good time.  I’m sure will be posting reviews for pretty much all the albums mentioned so be on the look out for that!


Donald: Bang your head!

*Note: This discussion was conducted before Anberlin announced that they would be releasing one final album before breaking up. I know I speak for everyone on the Keep Calm and Carry On Staff that the final album from one of the most important bands in this scene is among the most highly anticipated albums of 2014. We will be doing a retrospective on Anberlin’s great career next week.*

No comments:

Post a Comment